One of my favorite breakfast dishes of all time would have to be Eggs Benedict. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a local breakfast establishment that makes a “gluten free” option, let alone Paleo. The poached eggs? Sure. Bacon? Check. Hollandaise sauce? Not so much. Nearly every chef throws some flour in their Hollandaise, (the sauces get you every time if you’re not careful!) but you really DONT have to. Here is my version of Eggs Benedict ( minus the english muffin) with a simple Hollandaise sauce. If you are not an experienced egg poacher, click here for a basic guide to poaching eggs.
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serving Size: 2 people ( 3 eggs a person)
- 4 strips of nitrate free bacon
- 6 eggs poached
- 1 cup of spinach leaves
Hollandaise Sauce Recipe – Makes 1 cup – plenty for two people
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 stick of unsalted butter melted
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Pinch of Paprika
- Pinch of Tarragon
- In a medium skillet, fry 4 strips of bacon. Once finished, let cool on paper towel and cut into small pieces – set aside
- While your bacon is frying start your boiling water for poaching eggs. This will cut down on your total cooking time. ( follow egg poaching guide linked above)
- For your Hollandaise sauce, take a metal or glass mixing bowl. Vigorously whisk your egg yolks and lemon juice until your mix has thickened and nearly doubled in volume. Place the mixing bowl over a slightly smaller saucepan with a small amount of water that is barely simmering – not boiling ( or you can use a double boiler) – you want the saucepan to be smaller than the bowl because you need to make sure the bowl is not touching the simmering water when set on top ( if it does, it will “cook” your egg yolks- you don’t want that!). Continue to whisk yolk mixture rapidly, slowly adding in your melted butter. Continue to whisk until the sauce has thickened and doubled in volume. Remove from heat and add your seasonings. Cover and set aside in a warm spot until the poached eggs are ready.
- Starting with a bed of spinach, add your 3 poached eggs, hollandaise sauce, and then bacon pieces on top. Eat and be merry!