Happy Friday to all! And speaking of Friday, this recipe was inspired by those Primal Catholics out there who have given up their love affair with meat on Fridays for fish during Lent ( its only 40 days people…we can do it!) If you feel left out during your local Church Fish Fry, try this one on for size! It is a relatively easy recipe, replacing the typical fish breading with a tasty almond flour breading. Hope you enjoy!
- 6 catfish fillets
- 2 cups of almond flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of minced onion
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 cup of walnut oil or coconut oil ( whatever you prefer)
- Heat skillet with walnut oil/coconut oil to medium/ high heat.
- Take two mixing bowls – one small, one large. In the small bowl, whisk your egg and coconut milk until blended – this is your wet batter. In a medium bowl, mix the almond flour and all seasonings – this is your dry mix.
- Dip each fillet in the wet mix first, shaking off any excess liquid. Lay each fillet in dry mix, covering both sides well. Place in oiled skillet. Cook each side between 4-5 minutes until golden brown. * Take care when flipping, and only flip once . Some of the almond flour breading may fall off, so flip gently with tongs or large turner. Once finished, remove from skillet and place on a stack of paper towels – blot off excess oil and serve or refrigerate for later.
PRIMAL COCKTAIL SAUCE – makes 1/3 – 1/2 cup
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
- 2 teaspoons of horseradish sauce
- dash of salt and pepper
- dash of onion powder
- mix all ingredients together in a small bowl – serve with fish