Who doesn’t love Biscuits and Gravy? Since I haven’t been able to cook this delicious recipe lately I don’t have a picture, but I thought I would post a picture of the reason “why” I haven’t been able to cook this recipe lately. Exhibit A: Dayton Cash. Because of this handsome man, I had to completely cut eggs out of my diet. I know, I know…..Paleo Blasphamy. As much as I love eggs, my 4 month old son recently began having allergic reactions to them. From severe gas to bright red rashes over his face and head……awesome. So until he is finished nursing, I guess “egg-free” is the way I will have to be ( oh well….he’s worth it! I mean, how can I say “no” to that face!?).
But just because I can’t enjoy eggs, doesn’t mean you can’t ( damn right!). So here is a quick biscuits and gravy recipe, made with almond flour biscuits ( recipe for these is from www.elanaspantry.com – fantastic almond flour recipes) The “gravy” recipe is my own. The consistency is very chunky and thick and very flavorful. Total cook time is less than 20 min! Hope you enjoy! PS: If you are in a time crunch, start cooking your sausage on the stove while you get your biscuits ready!
RECIPE FOR PALEO DROP BISCUITS ( done in 15 minutes)
- 2.5 cups of almond flour
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil ( or even olive oil will work too)
- 1/4 cup of agave nectar
- 2 large eggs
- juice from 1 half of a fresh squeezed lemon
- Lets keep this simple, shall we? Take a medium size bowl and mix all of your “dry” ingredients ( flour, salt, baking soda) In a small bowl, mix your wet ingredients ( eggs, oil, agave, and lemon juice)
- Add the wet mix to the dry mix. Mix well. Dough will be a thick, pasty consistency. On a baking sheet, drop one large spoonful of batter for each biscuit, spacing them out at least an inch apart. Bake for 10 – 15 min until golden brown. You can serve these hot right away if you want
RECIPE FOR PALEO SAUSAGE GRAVY ( 15 min)
- 1 tube of Jimmy Deans All natural Pork ground Sausage ( or other organic sausage with no MSG or preservatives)
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 cup of warm water
- 1 tbsp of arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- In a large skillet, cook your ground sausage over med. heat. (If you have lots of grease from your sausage you can drain a little bit of it.) Add your coconut milk and garlic powder, stirring well.
- In a measuring cup, mix your 1 cup of warm water and arrowroot powder until the powder fully dissolves. Pump up your skillet heat to “high” and add the arrowroot/water mix to the sausage. Stir constantly for 1 minute or until the mixture starts to thicken. Once the desired thickness is reached you can serve this chunky gravy over the drop biscuits and enjoy!